Covid19 options: Free 15 minute online meetings
I provide students FREE and brief 1-1 support in this time of crisis, send an email or ring to book a meeting (details available on contacts page)
Synergy Careers facilitates the development of each client’s decision making skills, guides and enhances their self-awareness and knowledge base. The client will be assisted to make choices on a personal, educational and career basis about their lives, to set targets and to make transitions consequent to these choices through use of guidance tools, and exploratory discussion. This will be done in a safe, positive, respectful and non-judgemental environment.
It is challenging for students to make sense of all the choices that exist and at what level to pitch at, degree course versus certificate, Institute of Technology versus university or PLC, apprenticeship or employment routes. So support and information will be provided to help navigate through this selection process.
Note: testing is carried out according to the British Psychological Society International Guidelines for Test Use. Psychometric tests are administered according to standard ethical guidelines and only as one aspect of a wider Careers Assessment Package
Option 1 – Career Guidance
Appropriate if you are starting your career journey (5th or 6th year students) or an adult/mature student wishing to upskill/retrain or change career path.
- Step 1: Psychometric tests, a link to the appropriate test(s) will be sent via email to you with guidance given on procedure (ones typically used are MyUnichoices and MyAptitude). Once all are completed, reports can be processed and meeting time confirmed.
- Step 2: Meeting is in 2 parts in succession–The first part is the Exploration meeting with the aim to get to know the client. This is for approximately 2 hours with in-depth focus on interests, abilities, achievements, experience, skills, values.
- Step 3: The last hour of the meeting (parent(s) to be present for senior cycle or pre-3rd level) is used to go through the results and offer guidance as to what career/course/employment best match taking into account career aspirations (1 hour). During this time a quick tutorial is given on how/where to access career/course information, planning for open days etc..
- Step 4: Access for the academic year to online resources
Option 2- Subject choice and career options
- Step 1: Psychometric testing – a link to the appropriate test(s) will be sent in advance of our careers meeting, MyEirquest careers and subject choice assessment (takes 40/45 minutes)and MyAptitude (takes approx. 2 hours), a link to the appropriate test(s) will be sent via email to you with guidance given on procedure. Once all are completed, reports can be processed and meeting time confirmed.
- Step 2: The Guidance meeting is split in two – first, The Exploration meeting – The first 2 hours is spent with the client themselves with in-depth focus on interests, abilities, achievements, experience, values.
- Step 3: The last hour of the meeting is with the client and parent(s) to go through the results and offer guidance as to what subject’s best match taking into account career aspirations, suggestions of careers/courses to explore and guidelines for career research in senior cycle.
- Step 4: Access for the academic year to online resources.
Option 3 – Informational sessions based on topics of interest
- Study and Exam Techniques
- College applications
- Interview skills
- Subject Choice & Level
- College & Course Research
- CAO, UCAS, PLC, HPAT, Deferrals, Restricted Entry,
- UCAS Personal Statements
- HEAR & DARE Access Routes
- Scholarship programmes
- PLCs & FETAC entry routes & Links
Option 4 – Preparation for work
- Guidelines for C.V. preparation
- Feedback on first draft
- Meeting with client on 2nd draft
- Interview tips and Mock interview